Friday, January 25, 2008

I Don't Feel Tardy...

...Even if it did take me 20+ years to finally hear Eddie Van Halen play live. It's kind of weird, but I actually feel relieved now that I can say that. While folks with more musical knowledge would argue, Eddie is a damn fine guitarist, and admittedly, the only one I can identify with certainty by a um, riff (correct word?). Eddie is just obviously Eddie & I just love him! There were a few mildy annoying, yet amusing, non-Van Halen issues, but overall, it was great. (Please keep in mind I am NOT a musician, so this is by no means a technical review of the evening - just a screen shot of memories.)

Concert Friends - Laura (my Def Lep concert friend), Charlie & their sons Trey & Clay. Velma & her sister Lyda went as well, but they were on the other side of the AT&T Center.

Seats - We were in the "We-love-Van Halen-so-much-we-must-sit-as-far-as-possible-from-them" section. Balcony, Section 211,stage right -literally. Watched it from the side & could not see much of the screen. However, I was able to spy on most of back & side stage activity, and I LOVE behind-the-scenes stuff. Plus, I had binoculars with me, so I could see the band just fine. (Off topic -In the binocular case, found a UT v. Missouri game ticket from 1996 - back when Rickey Williams was playing.) And speaking of pot heads.... Okay, kind of snotty, but NOW I remember why I shy away form the cheap seats. We were in the poverty section. Lots of 80's hold-over stoner riff-raff. We had seats in row 2 of the balcony, and many a stoner decided that, although we were 1000 feet away from the stage, holding the cell phone two feet out over the ledge was going to get them a much better picture. Whatever, Spicoli. But then they stayed right there. In my line of sight. I had to bust out the (hot for)teacher voice and instruct them to sit down. Next time, for anything, I sit up close to the stage.

Music - Loved it. Played all the hits & all the hits that were hits before the Birth of MTV. Sorry, I'm not a set list memorizing person (but it's in the review on the first link), so I can't remember them all. I did record 'Hot for Teacher' on my phone. Sometimes it was hard to understand DLR, but I think that was more of a DLR issue than sound. (And again, stoners yelling, "Fuck yeah! Rock & Roll!!!" when he was trying to talk didn't help. )

Band Breakdown by Member:
Alex
- Enormous, ginormous many, many drums on the kit. Sported a huge headband. Of course.

David Lee Roth - Of for the love... What can I say about Diamond Dave? Okay. Costuming made him like the ring master at the circus (Please see previous post - am I right?). Many fancy, sparkly jackets & hats & fish scale, bell bottom spandex pants. Also pretty sure he was sporting a thong as he had the sides of it sticking up over his hips above the pants (at least he wears undies now.) His usual strutty front-man self (I have seen him before, after...the first breakup). And he can still kick - single, hitch kicks & ever some round about thingie. Good for him. Amusing. Just amusing is all you can say, I guess. That's his purpose.

Wolfie - Dave said the band was now "three parts original, one part inevitable" after he introduced Wolfie following his solo. Again, not a musician, so I can't comment on technique, but everything sounded as it should, (AND Eddie did say "Whoa" afterwards, so I'll just take his totally unbiased, proud-papa word that his son was good). He seemed to really enjoy walking backwards up the ramp to the top of the stage (because he's sixteen. And being way up high is coool!) One of his guitars is a blue version of Eddie's Frankenstrat. And you know what? What a damn cool job that kid has. Sixteen & in Van Halen (okay - nepotism, but still...it's cool.)

Eddie - Just phenomenal. Kept the binoculars trained on him and just watched him play. My life is musically more complete.

Aaawww Moment - Don't know if this is a band staple, but they paused during the first song to high five each other, etc., and Eddie gave Wolfie a big ol' kiss & hug. Lots of that during the evening. (And I'm always awed and aaaawww-ed when I see an involved, informed, supportive parent.)

Favorite Mis-Heard Lyric - Dave opened 'Hot for Teacher' with "Heard you missed us, we're back!" and NOT "Heard your minister's were black." (In my defense, cassette tapes were NOT as clear as CDs and someone COULD misunderstand for 20 years.)

3 comments:

Carrie said...

1. DLR does look strikingly like Roy. It's eerie.

2. You didn't really think he was saying "minister's are black," did you? OMG! Now THAT's frikin' funny!

Kellie said...

Yes - to the misheard line. And I did NOT understand why they would say that.
1. Not very rock & roll all-people- loving sentiment.
2. Did not go with the school commentary. Is it a church school? Huh?
Seriously. I was only told what it really is about 3 years ago.

Anonymous said...

I saw the mighty VH on Friday night and you pretty much nailed everything - nicely done! I went mental during "Mean Street" and "Spanish Fly" (Album tracks, baby! Who needs hit singles?)

The video screen was almost as big as the arena itself and it really helped as I was at the very back of the arena. In a suite. With a free ticket. So I'm NOT complaining about seat location.

My sister recorded some decent video so check it out on her website. We have a competitive streak between us and for some reason she thinks she knows more than I do about rock music. So I laugh when she gives the set list and doesn't quite know song titles. "Show Your Love" is called "I'm The One" and "I Can't Take It Anymore" is actually called "Romeo Delight." But I give her a "A" for effort.

http://www.theearleyedition.com/