Friday, October 26, 2007
Ad-Hoc(-ing)
I enjoy watching The Biggest Loser as I feel it is a good motivator to get moving (although I am usually on my butt with a bag-o-snacks while viewing said motivational program). Don't judge! Anyway...I watched Season 1 and caught a few episodes here and there of the others, and I've watched this one pretty regularly, but I've noticed a trend that I didn't notice before. It seems that the trainers, who I remember being ass-kickers focused on general food & fitness, seem to offer odd, brand-related advice to their charges. Example 1: On the way back from the group's vacation (HUH?) in Jamaica, Trainer Bob just happens to show up in the hotel lobby with a few boxes of treats, and expertly informs his team, "You know, I'm soooo glad Nabisco came out with these 100 calories snack packs. You can just pop some of these in your carry on, and you don't have to worry about the calorie-laden food you'll get on the flight." Hmmm. Good brand-hawking tip, Bob. Example 2: The Black Team is in the kitchen cooking dinner, and Trainer Jillian happens to walk through. Rather than berate them, as is her forte, she instead offers, "Want to learn a little trick to keep from snacking while you're cooking dinner? I pop a piece of gum. I really like Wrigley's Extra. It only has 5 calories per piece." Hmmm. Another good tip. But, they just HAPPENED to have these snacks handy? They just HAPPEN to chew Extra gum while cooking? We just HAPPEN to get commercials DURING the show?? Again - good tips, but must we hear mini-commercials? Is this a new trend in tele? Are advertisers finding ways around the fast forward function on live TV and DVR'd programs? Me no like.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Remember The Truman Show? I have always assumed product placement was coming. That's why they now blur out ads on people's clothing (don't ever remember that as a kid watching TV, do you?) - because they want people to PAY for their airtime.
I recently read a good rant on someone's blog (can't remember where) about the new trend of having people wear branded clothing so the company gets free advertising. Madison Avenue strikes again.
Post a Comment