Since I was at Wicked tonight, I taped the BET Awards as they had revamped the whole thing and were paying tribute to Michael Jackson. As awards shows so often do, the show ran over, and I did not get to see the end. Ever get that feeling that you missed something big? I had that. I came in here and headed to BET, which had not yet updated the site, and then jumped to MTV, just for grins. Imagine the shock when I read, "Janet Jackson pays tribute to Michael at BET Awards". Their clip was short, so I searched YouTube (seriously, what would we do without it?) for the clip that included the performance with Jamie Foxx & Ne-Yo. Beautiful. Jamie can sing, and it was a fitting tribute. And Janet. I want to hug her. What grace through her pain.
In sharp contrast to her raw emotion was Joe Jackson's pre-show interview with CNN. I'd like to chalk his demeanor up to grief, or an inability to communicate with the media, but this interview does nothing to help his reputation as a bastard. Pitching his record label? When your child just died? Awful.
3 comments:
Joe is an ass. I only saw the Janet speech - short and to the point. Very classy.
Dammit - You Tube already removed the videos! What did Joe say? Or was he just being a cock?
Of course he was! Basically he seemed like he wanted to push his agenda rather than answer the CNN guy's questions. He never referred to Michael as his son, always a the world's greatest superstar. The guy asked something about how they felt about the investigation and Joe pulled some girl up to read a statement that said they were doing their own investigation. Toward the end, when the guy asked about the family and how they were holding up (which is a stupid question, but he seemed pretty genuine and expressed sympathies) Joe said, "They're fine. We're fine." Like it was odd that he was being asked that question, then he immediately pulled up his business partner to talk about their new record label. It's pretty much his whole attitude when you see him on TV. As much as there will always be 'did he' or 'didn't he' speculation about Michael, and he was responsible for his own actions, his father was a complete jerk and had some stake in that.
Post a Comment