NIOSA. (Pronouned Neye-osa, contrary to what the website claims!!!) Fiesta time in SA mean food-on-a-stick, and the primo stick food fare is at NIOSA. Crowed, yes, which is why smart NIOSA-goers know that you arrive the second the gates open & hit all your favorite food booths muy rapido and vamanos. (Which explains why I am writing at 8:45 p.m.) Went with some Luna friends who go every year. They 'break in' (via
cascarone assault) a NIOSA 'virgin'; this year's virgin was Jay from the math department. And I? Have not been a NIOSA virgin since the tender age of 12. Some woman threw her beer at me because I turned too quickly, without looking, to splash my friend in a puddle (it was waayyy less crowed in 1981 and splashing room was possible. As was rain, apparently...) and hit the woman instead. Was deathly afraid that Mum would think I had been drinking because I reeked of beer.
Turns out...I don't like beer.
But I do like wine...But truly? NIOSA is all about the food you can only get once a year. I am usually a dork & list the foods I WILL eat. Today I list what I DID eat.
New foods this year:
- Bean & cheese gorditas - How the hell did I miss this one?
- Flautas - another new yum.
- Brisket Biscuit - meat = good!
Old stand-bys:
- Cowboy klopse - battered & deep-fryed meatballs
- Shypoke eggs -basically, a nacho chip layered with two colors of cheese covering a jalepeno - made to look like an egg
- Meat on a stick - real name is something like antichuchos or something - just marinated bbq-ed beef - yum
And wine.
Wine. Good.
1 comment:
Chicken flautas are the schizznit!!
This is why I look forward to Renaissance Festival every year - banana empanadas. I don't think that has anything to do with the Renaissance, but they're freakin' good!
Post a Comment