Monday, July 07, 2008

Not So Smart Car

Leaving work today, I spied one of those cute little SmartCars. (Thought someone escaped from Rockville at Fiesta Texas!) I came home & "built" my own on their website and did a bit of research.
Here are a few issues, observations, concerns about the SmartCar...

1) This little thing is the size, front to back, of my hood. Maybe the dash. I would look like a tub driving it.
2) SmartCars only come equipped with 5-speed transmission. I've heard that's better for gas mileage, but it doesn't remedy the fact that I'm incapable of learning to drive one of those. Seriously.
3) The model, above, I "built", adding only $450 for power steering? $14,040! For 1/2 a car! My whole car was only $3,000 more and it came with a trunk!
4)It gets 40 mpg city/45mpg highway with an 8.7 gallon tank. Okay. But it only drinks premium unleaded. My guess (because I don't actually want to do the math) is that means the money saving aspect pretty much evens itself out in the end.
5) Welcome to Texas. A SmartCar? Would soooo lose in a fight with any one of the legion of F150s that dominate the highways. I will spend a bit more money to not get smooshed.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I agree - it's a great concept, but in the real world it just won't work. At least here.

I wish we had a more European attitude toward cars - small but fast, and drive like hell. Oh wait, we do that. No, we drive like idiots in hell. There is a difference!

eve said...

Oh, but they're so cute!!! I really wanted to get one, but they weren't even selling them in the US when I was looking to buy a car last August. I would've had to wait until January and I wasn't willing to do that. I also did research and built my own and all that but I don't remember the premium gas thing. hmmm...... I guess I missed that piece of info.

Anonymous said...

You know the Vinnie said he would get me one of these to go to the store and run errands in...........where the hell am I going to put the groceries for a family of 5 in that thing.......hang them from the mirrors and the bumper! They are all over the place up here! I think I could put 4 of them in the back of my burb!