Hold on a sec....let me find my soapbox. Oh, there it is!!
Ahhhhem.
Alright. I'm ready.
So today is my bro-in-laws b-day, and I bought a card, but you know I realize I've left it at home when I'm 30 miles away. After dinner at Texas Roadhouse, I stop off at the HEB for another card (will save this one for next year - Yeah, me! I'm ahead!). Not having shopped at this HEB, I'm maneuvering through the parking lot, wondering which side of the store the cards may be on so I can just pop in and out real quick-like to get to the party.
The grocery store gods where shining down upon me as I spy a fellow (in the car by himself because he rocks - important fact) parked in the coveted next-to-handicapped spot up front!
Sweet!!
But. What...the....hell?
Another sign.
PARKING FOR CUSTOMERS WITH CHILDREN
Oh, hellllll noooo!
You know I parked there. Yes, I did.
I am sorry, but that is way too far. Yes, I'm childless, and you know what? I still get to be selfish - deal with it. I do not have to assist with others' life-choices. Parenting is not a condition; you don't get special treatment for choosing to be a parent. And you know, my mother had children, and she parked the car where she found a spot, and she held our damn hands so we didn't fly out into the street and get mowed over. As a matter of fact, she threatened me EVERY SINGLE TIME we exited the car to stay by her (and to not ask for anything, but that is an extraneous fact). (And props to T.Snyder for issuing the exact same threats to her boys from the back of the parking lot.)
Handicapped parking? Necessary. Someone has a condition, an injury, post-surgical issues, and they don't need to be traipsing forever to obtain groceries.
But people with kids? No. Sorry. Walk like the rest of us.
You know what there should be? Parking for the elderly. I can't tell you how many old folks I see making their way to the store from afar. They've done their time, and still they're shuffling along; they've earned a spot up front. And they probably watched their kids when they were young, too!
The world revolving around lame ass parenting really needs to stop.
I'm done now.
(Please see CPD's post for an example of good parenting.)
3 comments:
Wow, you're not kidding. Parking for parents? That's beyond stupid. I totally agree with you - give parking to the elderly and infirm, but if you're a parent of young children (and you have to assume that's what this is for), chances are you're under forty and can move around fine. If not, why the hell are you having children??
And since the sign is so non-specific, I do believe I'll park there next time I go. After all, I'm a parent of a child. It doesn't say she has to be small (or present, for that matter). I can even cope with the signs at WalMart pharmacy that are reserved for parents with SICK children. But this is ridiculous. Parents who need this much help coping SHOULDN'T BE BREEDING. Walk like the rest of us!
See I do something right with my children, walk your ass through the parking lot! OK Carrie, I have not seen the resevered signs at the Wally for the sick children! That is just insane! They too should walk b/c the exercise just might do them some good! Then they would not be so freakin ill! Dumb ass signs! Lets make some and stick them up in random spots in the parking lots. Like "Bad Hair Day Parking", or "Broke A Nail Parking" see that could be fun! I am sad for the old folks tinkering through the lots though, you have to watch out for them, they are all short and what not!
Yes, you do lots of good things w/ the boys. And they stop when they do act up because they know you mean it. (Or maybe because Auntie Kel is giving them the raised eyebrows as if to say, "OOOhhhh, boy! Your mamma gonna kill you! You best stop if you want to live!)
Post a Comment